To put it succinctly:
- We are obliged by law to investigate and prosecute war crimes.
- Once sworn in the president has a "Take Care" obligation to see that all laws are faithfully executed.
- bush has admitted he signed off on methods of harsh interrogation.
- Such harsh methods were authorized (in combination) by principals at the highest levels.
- Rationales for subversion of law (both Constitutional, statutory and international treaties) were developed by no less than the bush OLC at the bush DoJ.
- Nancy Pelosi has now called for prosecuting the bush DoJ.
- The new AG and OLC have termed the bush harsh interogations, in particular waterboarding, "torture" and have insisted that we cannot turn our backs on the law.
- Charges against one Guantanamo inmate have been dropped due to "torture" used in the extraction of information.
- Glenn Grewald has laid out the case for why Binding U.S. law requires prosecutions for those who authorize torture.
And let us resolve - Never Again