Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Marcy Wheeler and Freedom of the Press (5.27.09)

Among our most precious freedoms is Freedom of Speech and especially its public expression, Freedom of the Press, both enshrined in the First Amendment, described as:  "Our blueprint for personal freedom and the hallmark of an open society."
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
-- The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
Few individuals have sacrificed so much, nor worked so tirelessly in its free expression, in my view, as Marcy Wheeler, who blogs as emptywheel.  Without any more (till now) than her free time, her computer and a commendable group of faithful followers, she has exposed and carefully documented many issues over the years, but none so consequential as her current efforts to trace the memos, players, and events surrounding the bush regime's interlocked crimes and misdemeanors - with regard to torture, a war of aggression in Iraq, secret renditions, and the secret, pernicious machinations underlying them.

And why do I bring this up today?  Because today in New York Ms. Wheeler receives a prestigious award for her journalistic endeavors, an award she richly deserves.

But it's not the sole reason for this blog.  This blog is a tribute to free speech and to this one woman, Ms. Wheeler, who  chooses to maintain her independence in order to speak freely.  In order to write freely.

At this point I imagine that Marcy could command a great sum, working for some media empire.  But she chooses not to do that.  She chooses instead to depend upon the donations of people who view her work as vital to our current efforts to unearth, investigate, and bring redress for crimes committed by the highest officials of the land.  She may have other ends in mind.  But of that one I am certain.

I do not know Marcy Wheeler in person.  But I think I have read enough and observed enough to draw some positive conclusions about her and her work.   Enough to have donated twice already to help fund her efforts.  Enough to donate a third time.  In honor of those efforts, on this day of public honor for her and her work.

Marcy, emptywheel, EW for short, has a Ph.D. in what I would term political literature - the kind of underground political writing that circulated in Eastern Europe before they separated from Russia and became democracies.  She's a careful reader.  She can read between the lines.  She meticulously documents her discoveries and analyzes them with reference to other events, persons, and political currents.  She is open to new ideas and new information.  She has inspired others to assist her and she maintains a single-minded focus on her goals, writing blogs, sometimes at such a fast clip it takes your breath away.  Responding to comments in the threads, encouraging deeper digging by those who read and comment there. Exercising, through longtime followers, both an openness to new readers, a focus on the work, and an ability to keep distractions to a minimum.  It's a very healthy, open system at her blog, and I think I have some professional expertise to make that judgment.

So I write to praise Marcy Wheeler.  I write to praise her many abilities.  But above all, I write to praise her selflessness, her ability to resist selling herself to the highest bidder, her focus, in short on freedom of speech and freedom of the press.  Her blog, in my view, being her press.  In a day when many of the so-called "best and brightest" demand rights beyond the common person, Marcy stands out.   She is not an "elitist" - thank god!  She can't be bought!  Thank god for that too.

So if you are a lover of freedoms - as am I - if you esteem those who seek to exercise and defend our freedoms, if you prize writing which is free of any constraints save the truth and a desire that the truth be told, investigated, and justice upheld, then I invite you this very day to join with me in assisting Marcy's work in whatever way you can.  Perhaps you can only add your voice to this thread.  Or perhaps you can open your wallet and make a donation here.

Marcy Wheeler intends to spend the next year focused solely on this work.   She will do this without funds from any source that could taint her work.  She will do some traveling, to blog at Congressional hearings for example.  She will hire an assistant.  That's it.  She is one driven lady!  And I stand in awe not just of her talents and her drive, but of her selfless dedication to writing freely.  Her dedication to bringing to light what has been hidden.  What has tarnished this nation in so many ways.  One person - trying to do her civic duty.

PERMALINK



20 Comments


user-pic
What a fine tribute from you TheraP and a fine tribute from the Hillman group.
You have made me a believer. I signed up for emptywheel and now check it out daily. Great quotes, cites and links.
user-pic
I woke up this morning, knowing it was her day to receive this award, and felt moved to write as I did. I have the utmost respect not just for the excellence of her work but that she chooses to do it in a way which demands total freedom to say what she feels needs to be said. And now FULL TIME!
Thanks for you kind words dd!
user-pic
(Resounding Applause)
user-pic
Ditto
user-pic
There are many progressive blogs with informative, interesting, insightful contributions to offer. I think of them as bonfires, where people can gather to share perspectives and learn from each others' insights, each others' life experiences.
My favorite bonfire by far is Marcy's. I orbit the periphery of many such bonfires, but Marcy's is the one to which I bring my little camping stool, my cup of hot chocolate and my notebook. Several time each day, in fact, as much as I am able. Sometimes I get lost in the dust of the rapid fire, heavy weight conversations, but I never fail to take away at least a tenuous grasp of things on the early event horizon, and sometimes I am actually able to grasp a profound understanding of what is taking place around me.
Someday Marcy will be recognized as the national hero she is, along with the many regular contributors like TheraP. Witness today's award cerimony honoring Marcy's work; it has already begun. I have a deep seated gratitude for Marcy's selfless efforts, and for the fact that her brilliance has attracted so many whose intellect and dedication to freedom matches any of our forefathers who founded this great nation.
Thank you for this post TheraP!
user-pic
What a wonderful, wonderful comment, surfer! I love your image of the bonfire and people sitting around it with hot chocolate and a notebook. Lovely tribute to Marcy and those who gather around the bonfire - to listen and learn.
user-pic
I know Marcy from Ann Arbor and Washtenaw county political volunteer stuff during the 04 primary.
She's fiercely smart, and it's a great pleasure to see her recognized for her work.
user-pic
Thanks for sharing with us that she's even more valuable in person! As someone who was born in Michigan, but has hardly lived there, I'm always glad to see Michiganders! Welcome, andy! :)
user-pic
There are many progressive blogs with informative, interesting, insightful contributions to offer. I think of them as bonfires, where people can gather to share perspectives and learn from each others' insights, each others' life experiences.
My favorite bonfire by far is Marcy's. I orbit the periphery of many such bonfires, but Marcy's is the one to which I bring my little camping stool, my cup of hot chocolate and my notebook. Several time each day, in fact, as much as I am able. Sometimes I get lost in the dust of the rapid fire, heavy weight conversations, but I never fail to take away at least a tenuous grasp of things on the early event horizon, and sometimes I am actually able to grasp a profound understanding of what is taking place around me.
Someday Marcy will be recognized as the national hero she is, along with the many regular contributors like TheraP. Witness today's award cerimony honoring Marcy's work; it has already begun. I have a deep seated gratitude for Marcy's selfless efforts, and for the fact that her brilliance has attracted so many whose intellect and dedication to freedom matches any of our forefathers who founded this great nation.
Thank you for this post TheraP!
user-pic
oops, sorry about the double post
user-pic
It was just as good the second time! :-)
user-pic
Congratulations to Marcy Wheeler. It seems so rare that lowly bloggers get any respect. Kudos to you too, TheraP, and the TPM collective for posting these thoughtful essays, opening honest discussions and staying on top of things.
Excellent sites like EW are playing the role that our press is supposed to play (investigative watchdog, devil’s advocate to entrenched power, opening the gates instead of playing gatekeeper, etc.). I just looked up this story by GG about Maureen Dowd plagiarizing Josh Marshall and couldn’t believe it was just a week and ½ ago. It's too easy to get absorbed by the insightful writing from one great site to the next.
Traditional media is threatened by online journalism and analysis and with good reason. A site like Politico is still just an extension of corporate media. Marcy Wheeler and Jane Hamsher (also of FDL), along with so many other excellent bloggers, are completely unappreciated by the “real” press, but really, who’s keeping it real?
user-pic
Don, what a wonderful, insightful, stirring comment! Reminds me for some reason of the beginning of Dickon's A Tale of Two Cities: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....
Since childhood that beginning paragraph fascinated me. Only now do I begin to understand it.
user-pic
I love that quote. Hands down, the best opening line in a novel ever. I remember using it in reference to the '60s but it could probably be stretched to cover any period of length and any modern society (well, the '70s of Nixon and disco were just the worst of times :).
Miguelito has a good post on the press and the war. If it were not for the blogosphere, the lies, civil and human rights violations, and power-grabbing in DC would have been buried in an unmarked grave by now.
user-pic
Thank you TheraP for posting about Marcy Wheeler. I have seen you refer to Firedoglake and emptywheel before but never followed up. I am so glad to find another great blogsite. Thanks.
And congrats to Marcy Wheeler - I hope she reads this!
user-pic
TPM and FDL make good book-end sites, in my view. Glad you followed up, bluesplashy!
user-pic
Good on ya, Thera. Good on Marcy Wheeler too. The internet is like an amazing brain, pulsing with ideas and energy along with all the crap. It's nice to see independent, energetic, intelligent people take advantage of its potential. YES!
user-pic
I so agree, Nick! :)
user-pic
I hit the donate button for Marcy a couple of weeks ago, too, TheraP. She is one the net's best assets.
user-pic
Amen, seashell! :)

No comments: